[squid-users] Introducing Charcoal - Centralised URL Filter for squid

Nishant Sharma codemarauder at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 10:36:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

We are excited to invite early users to test drive Charcoal
(http://charcoal.io) - a Squid URL Rewriter for distributed proxies.

Charcoal is designed to help administrators manage access rules for the
proxies at just one place with a GUI, instead of editing configuration
of individual proxy servers.

It has come out of our need of managing ACLs for 100+ proxy servers on
embedded devices (OpenWRT/LEDE) running at our customer offices across
the geography of India. We are releasing it in the hope that it will be
useful for Squid users who have to manage multiple proxy servers everyday.

The architecture is API key driven client-server, where a squid
url-rewrite helper contacts server to query access controls for the
incoming requests.

Current features:
-----------------
- Supports Squid 2.x and 3.x
- 70+ pre-existing domains blacklist
- Custom destination groups/categories
- Custom source groups for IPs and Networks (usernames in the pipeline)
- As of now only domain filter support (no full url filtering)
- API key driven

Configuration:
--------------
- Download the helper from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Hopbox/charcoal-helper/master/squid/charcoal-helper.pl.
- Make sure IO::Socket module for Perl is installed.
- Add following lines to squid.conf after downloading the helper:

url_rewrite_program /path/to/charcoal-helper.pl YOUR_API_KEY
url_rewrite_children X startup=Y idle=Z concurrency=1

YOUR_API_KEY for our hosted Charcoal service can be requested by filling
in the form at http://charcoal.io or writing in to charcoal at hopbox.in.
The credentials for login to https://active.charcoal.io to manage the
ACL will be emailed along with YOUR_API_KEY.

License:
--------
URL Rewrite helper for squid is licensed under GPLv2.0 while Charcoal
Server is licensed under AGPLv3.0.

GIT Repo:
---------
Squid URL Rewrite helper can be downloaded from
https://github.com/Hopbox/charcoal-helper

Git repository for Charcoal Server is at https://github.com/Hopbox/charcoal

Regards,
Nishant