[squid-users] Content / Message JS Injection for HTTP Pages Only

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Jun 13 03:50:54 UTC 2017

On 13/06/17 08:36, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Hey Naveen,
>
> ECAP and ICAP been in use for such things very long ago.
> This is one of the reasons for the movement in the network to encrypt
> traffic and also to pin certificates in the applications.
> You will need to choose to go either with ECAP or ICAP and from there the
> direction is pretty simple.
> I was thinking of publishing an example using an ICAP service which is based
> on this example:
> https://github.com/elico/icap/blob/master/example/redirect.go
>
> But I am not sure if it would be a good idea to do so.
> I believe that if you will be able to grasp the example you would be able to
> mangle it a bit to act as "proxy" in a way and then to inject content into
> the body of the response.
> You will need some skills and experimentation with the GoLang language and
> concepts to make it work.
> It's not a beginner task so don't expect it to be accomplished in one week.
>
> Let me know if you need some more guidance.
>
> Eliezer

And don't forget that the content going through is often copyrighted by
someone else. Being publicly accessible does not make it any less
proprietary or restricted by its owners. Under copyright legislation
altering other peoples content can be a form of theft.

Naveen: please get some legal advice about the above before going any
further. This idea of injecting JS banners and notices into other
peoples pages has a history lined with companies having major PR fallout
or collapsing into bankruptcy in a few cases as a direct result of
consumer and copyrigth content owners reaction to the injection.

Amos