[squid-users] Squid and SSLBump

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Jun 10 03:42:23 UTC 2017

On 10/06/17 06:01, Walter H. wrote:
> On 09.06.2017 09:33, FredB wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There is way to approximately estimate the "cost" of CPU/Memory usage
>> of SSLbump ?
> be careful, if there is a "cost" value now, this will be very probably
> wrong when SSL gets more common ...

As far as I have seen there are simply not enough published numbers for
the SSL-Bump and HTTPS proxying to get even a good ballpark estimate
yet. Additional info for the
<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Benchmarks> page are welcome,
how to take measurements to minimize comparison issues are listed there.

IMO, the situation is much the same with plain-text as well as Squid has
constantly improving support for HTTP/1.1 and performance updates
changing things there too. For any given machine you should be able to
get your own numbers by comparing the RPS numbers to the CPU and memory
load patterns, regardless of what the feature sets in use are.