[squid-users] this config is ok? is ok the order?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Jun 5 21:33:07 UTC 2017

On 06/05/2017 01:24 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Monday 05 June 2017 11:50:42 erdosain9 wrote:
>> So, I wanted to know when the squid server would ask for resolution again.

> Q: When will Squid ask [its configured name server] for resolution again?
> A: When it needs to know the answer again.

This answer is incorrect because Squid has its own DNS cache.

Squid pays attention to DNS record TTLs. I believe there are several
bugs in that code, but, in many cases, Squid will not cache the answer
for less than negative_dns_ttl and for longer than the minimum of the
received TTL and positive_dns_ttl. DNS answers may be purged from the
Squid DNS cache for reasons other than TTL, of course.

>> how can i put more time to live?

> You cannot (and should not).

One can increase effective TTL in Squid DNS cache by increasing
negative_dns_ttl. Whether one _should_ do that is a different question
that I cannot answer in general.

HTH,