[squid-users] this config is ok? is ok the order?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Mon Jun 5 15:47:57 UTC 2017

On Monday 05 June 2017 08:24:00 erdosain9 wrote:

> mmm... and what you think about this
>
> dig -x google.com

Firstly, I think "what is this supposed to mean?"

dig -x is for reverse lookups - you give it an address and it tells you what
name has been assigned in a PTR record (as opposed to a forward lookup, which
takes a name and tells you what address/s have been assigned in A or AAAA
records).

Therefore "dig -x" with a name makes no sense to me.

> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> in-addr.arpa.		900	IN	SOA	b.in-addr-servers.arpa. nstld.iana.org.
2017042647
> 1800 900 604800 3600

> We have, little time? about 15', this is a problem, dont you think?

That's the TTL for lookups on a *root* name server - in fact I'm slightly
surprised it's even as long as 15 minutes.

A large TTL on root name servers would prevent the rest of the Internet from
finding out about new name/address assignments in a timely manner.

> Or im using bad dig??

Yes, I think that's the problem.

> what would be a good value???

What would be a good value for what?

What are you trying to achieve / find out?

Antony.

--
I lay awake all night wondering where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.