[squid-users] HDD/RAM Capacity vs store_avg_object_size

bugreporter bugreporter2017 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 10:31:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

Can anybody help me to confirm my understanding of the memory usage vs the
persistent cache capacity? Below my understanding:

According to http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidMemory:

1- We need 14 MB of memory per 1 GB on disk for 64-bit Squid.The wiki is
there since I know squid (ie. i'm very old now). Is this information still
valid?

2- Is this assumption based on the default value of 13 KB for
*store_avg_object_size*?

3- If answers to questions above are both YES, can we deduce that we need
*182* bytes in memory per object in the persistent cache on 64x system?
[*182* = (14 * 1024 * 1024) / (1024 * 1024 / store_avg_object_size)]

4- Today the *store_avg_object_size* should be really greater than 13 KB.
The mean object size I can see on my own cache is about 100 KB. Can anybody
refer me to a website where I can find fresh information?

5- If I'm completely on a wrong way, can anybody help me to find a formula
that can help me to deduce the required RAM for a given HDD capacity (and
vice versa).

Warm Regards,

-----
Bug Reporter Contributor