[squid-users] Does squid generates/adds additional HTTP headers?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jul 11 16:12:09 UTC 2017

On 07/10/2017 05:52 PM, avi_h wrote:

> I'm trying to get squid to use the same headers as it received (to make it
> more transparent)

To improve your chances of arriving at a usable solution (or quickly
abandoning a futile search), I suggest detailing/narrowing your goal:
"Make it more transparent" to whom and in what way? What specific
problems are you trying to solve? For example:

* Do you want to configure Squid to become invisible to a knowledgeable
human observer?

* Do you want to configure Squid to make some server(s) think that the
request is coming directly from a user agent (e.g., browser)? What do
those servers use to detect proxies now?

Etc. etc. You probably know exactly what you need to achieve. Narrow it
down for us as much as possible.

> After looking up online I configured the following:
>
> request_header_access Cache-Control deny all

Denying general-purpose headers makes no sense if you want Squid to
forward as many original headers as possible. Yes, Squid may generate
new Cache-Control headers but that does not mean that Squid does not
forward client Cache-Control headers as well. The task of preserving
original headers may feel trivial to you, but the actual complexity of
what you are asking is one of the reasons we need you to come up with a
narrower goal.

> Is there any way to have squid generate the exact same headers as it
> received?

No. However, you probably do not actually need that. You probably need
something else that Squid may be able to do (with or without code
modifications).