[squid-users] Dstdomain "there are more than 100 regular expressions"

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Fri Jul 7 14:28:46 UTC 2017

Hey,

The choice to work with regular expressions on domain names is kind of weird to me.
I would try to explain why I am thinking this way.
Let say I have a domain such as:
p.ngtech.co.il
and this domain has many sub domains and I want to catch each and every one of these domains how would I block them using a regex?
^s1\.p\.ngtech\.co\.il$
Or
^s[0-9]+\.p.ngtech\.co\.il$

What did I earned if the whole ngtech.co.il domain contains content that I don’t want?
There are very specific cases which regex are good for domains blacklisting but if you need them so much then just split them into two groups of 90 to overcome the squid warning.
If you are using a blacklist which offers you a blacklist with regex then I think you are using the wrong one or using it the wrong way.

If you want me to help you with this matter we can findout together if there is a much smarter and better way to block these sites then first making sure that the domain is not a match for more then 100 regex.

All The Bests,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru