[squid-users] youtube videos and squid

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Fri Jul 7 14:15:56 UTC 2017

Hey Amos, Sergei,

I managed to write an ICAP service which works with a ruby\golang StorID helper and a redis DB that can help with the caching of YouTube videos.
However despite to the fact that I am able to tag urls with StoreID  squid is still not responding with a cache HIT but fetching from the original sources.

There are couple obstacles in this field and this specific solution I wrote is designed for PC and not IPAD or Andorid Based devices.
There is an issue with Android 6+(7..) and IOS 10 based devices which for some reason do not cope with SSL traffic interception.
If you do have a tiny server and you can run a tiny http service with nginx\apache I would recommend you to download the videos and serve them locally using chrome or another browser which works.
I found it more useful then intercepting and caching also, kids are usually enjoying from a more "stable" stash of movies\videos then others.
They can watch the same video over and over and it would be fun for them.
The teenagers are having issue's watching the same video over and over so..
I can recommend on a nice wordpress theme which can fit a "VOD" site and a video downloader which you can use to download specific videos or playlists.

This solution would be something like "netflix on a stick" and is very effective with a raspberry pi 3 with some external USB HDD.

I would be happy to get any response to any of the ideas.

Thanks In Advance,
Eliezer

 * If you are willing to devote some time to debug the issue with the current helpers let me know and bump me if you think I missed an email and didn't responded(it happens when you have kids...)
----
Eliezer Croitoru
Linux System Administrator
Mobile: +972-5-28704261