[squid-users] youtube videos and squid

Sergei G sergeig.public at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 03:40:44 UTC 2017

Hi guys,

I have a very specific scenario in mind to use squid for.

I have 2 kids (2.5 and 4 years old) that are watching iPads and really
using available Comcast bandwidth.  It does not help that they sometimes
just leave those iPads running.

They tend to re-watch youtube videos (click on the same icon that they
liked before).  And that makes me think that squid could help me with
caching off youtube content.  Am I correct?

If not then I have no reason to bother you anymore :)

If squid could help me, then could you point me to a an example
configuration that would work?

As far as hardware I have 2 options:

1. I can install squid on a Raspberry PI 3, if package is readily
available.  that's my preferred solution.
2. I have an old server hardware with more power than RPI 3, but I don't
like to run it, because it is noisy.  It has FreeBSD 10 installed and I can
upgrade it to latest FreeBSD (11?) and isntall squid application that way.

Does squid run on RPI3?  FreeBSD?

Thank you