[squid-users] The best way to start | stop | reload | status

Dijxie dijxie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 14:11:44 UTC 2017

W dniu 06.07.2017 o 15:08, erdosain9 pisze:
> Hi.
> mmm... im having a doubt.
> I usually use Systemctl for start, stop, reload, and status; but sometimes i
> heard that it was not the best way to do these actions.
> Way? I heard something wrong?
> And if not the best way, what would it be?
>
> 1) squid -z
> 2) squid
>
> ???
>
> And from there, how i can stop and reload, status??
> And, if this is the best way, how do I start Squid automatically when the
> system boots?
>
> (Or is it really not relevant?)
>
> Thanks to all!
>

> --

squid -k check|reconfigure etc for interaction with squid process.
Reconfigure is for reload config files, external ACL files, as well as
for i.e. refreshing cached group members in case if external ACL used.
Usually, the best way to start/stop/restart squid is to use your init,
i.e. systemctl stop squid, service squid stop, /etc/init.d/squid stop.
Depending of distro, squid usually has systemd-unit-file or upstart/init
script. For reload configuration, personally I always use squid -k
reconfigure.

But if you want to/need to, you do not have to run squid as a
daemon/service, you can start it via cron or whatever you like. Init is
usually the best way, since it handles things like order, dependiencies,
runlevels etc. - that is what is it for.

--
Greets, Dijx.