[squid-users] Can I use an external ACL helper for "cache allow x" or "cache deny y" ?

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Jul 5 09:25:02 UTC 2017

Hey,

I was wondering to myself:
We have lots of acls but I am not sure if it's possible or not.
I want to cache specific files only after a specific amount of times that
they were downloaded requested over a specific period of time.
Now what I want to try is to write an external ACL helper that will work
with a counter in a DB and that will count each url hit.
Then if a specific URL is being hit more then let say 5 times per a period
of time which garbage collection runs or memcached or redis with an
expiration time,
this object will be allowed to be cached.

It's a lot of data on a busy systems but for specific domains it's useful.

Can an external acl helper be used for "cache deny x" or "cache allow y"?

Thanks,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru