[squid-users] Is it possible to modify cached object?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Tue Jan 31 16:44:42 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 31 January 2017 at 17:28:15, boruc wrote:

> 1. Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
> 2. Squid downloaded from
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/squid-3.5.24.tar.gz

Okay, so that's an official source tarball, good.

> 3. About "sudo auto-apt run ./configure && sudo make && sudo checkinstall",
> I just wanted to give it a shot, original command was "sudo ./configure &&
> make && sudo make install"

That latter command would have been *far* more sensible (provided you remember
the extra sudo in the middle) - it would configure, build and install the
version you just downloaded from the Squid website.

> 4. Command to list packages: dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall

Okay, that'll tell you what Ubuntu thinks has been installed via the package
manager.

> 5. Like Amon has written: "Please upgrade. 3.1 is over 5 years outdated and
> the OS it was written for wont even have LTS support for very much longer.
> All the newer versions should come pre-packaged with eCAP support with no
> action needed on your part."

Yes, I completely agree you should upgrade from Squid 3.1

You might also consider upgrading from Ubuntu 12.04... :)

> So I wanted the newest stable release and that is 3.5.24

> 6. I've deleted every squid-related package with dpkg (what about this one,
> should I delete it too?: /usr/share/vim/vim73/syntax/squid.vim)

No, that's just an editor syntax rules file, for "intelligent" highlighting
when you edit the Squid config file.

Leave it or delete it; it's nothing to do with installing or running Squid.

> 7. Inside unpacked squid folder I used ./configure that is at the end of
> this post && sudo make && sudo make install

Now *that* sounds good.

> 8. Command from 4. doesn't show that squid is installed

No, it won't, because you didn't install it through the package manager.

> however, "squid -v" shows
> Squid Cache: Version 3.5.24
> Service Name: squid

Excellent.

> 9. When I go to /etc/init.d and type "squid" I get no error (I got earlier
> because there was no cache.log file in /var/log/squid3)

Do you really mean "squid" or do you mean "./squid"?

If it's the first, I don't understand the relevance of being in /etc/init.d

> 10. I can run squid -z to create directories

Good.

> 11. there is no squid service on the list using "service --status-all"

What do you get from the following:

	/etc/init.d/squid status
	/etc/init.d/squid restart

Basically I think you are doing very well now.

Antony.

--
The next sentence is true.
The previous sentence is untrue.