[squid-users] Is it possible to modify cached object?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Tue Jan 31 09:52:39 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 31 January 2017 at 10:35:30, boruc wrote:

> I ran command "sudo apt-get remove --purge squid3"

Okay, that will remove the distribution (Debian or Debian-based) package.

> then I downloaded squid-3.5.24 in browser

What exactly did you download from where?

> unpacked it

So, presumably this was some source code tarball?

> then "sudo auto-apt run ./configure && sudo make && sudo checkinstall".

That looks like a rather bizarre combination of a Distribution command (auto-
apt run) and a distribution-independent configure & build (but not an
installation of the resulting binary), followed by a checkinstall (which is
designed to create an installable object, but dow not install it).

My biggest question here is "where did you find the instructions telling you to
run that combination of commands?"

> deb package is created, message says that it was also installed.

Show us the message.

> So i ran command

What command?

> to see installed packages and that's what I get:
>
> squid-common
> squid-langpack
> squid3
> squid3-common
>
> When I run any command with "squid3" it says that squid3 is not installed,
> but "squid -v" gives me "Squid Cache: Version 3.1.19". Also there is no
> "squid" or "squid3" service.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You are getting horribly confused between installing a distribution-packaged
version, and compiling your own binary from source.

> What should I do to get this 3.5.24 version to work and also have squid
> service?

1. Tell us which Linux distribution and version you are running.

2. Use you distribution's package manager to remove the packages you currently
have installed:

	squid-common
	squid-langpack
	squid3
	squid3-common

3. Make sure they really have been removed, by running:

	find / -name "squid*"

Remove anything that command finds on your system.

4. If you really want version 3.5.24, check whether that is available for your
distribution and if it is, install it through your package manager.

If that version is not available, and you're not happy to install whatever the
latest version for your distribution is, follow the instructions at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/CompilingSquid

5. Return here with copy/pasted commands and output if you need further help.

Regards,

Antony.

--
There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes.

 - Billy Connolly

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.