[squid-users] Is it possible to modify cached object?

boruc baborucki at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 18:52:04 UTC 2017

What would be the safest way to rebuild squid and enable eCAP?

I wanted to install libecap and some examples from  e-cap.org/Documentation
<http://e-cap.org/Documentation>   for my squid. My version is 3.1.19,  wiki
<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/eCAP>   says that suitable version of
both /libecap/ and /adapter/ should be 0.0.3. First I wanted to do this on
VirtualBox so installing new stuff and rebuilding won't break my work.
1. sudo apt-get install squid3 (I did to recreate everything like it's on my
PC)
2. sudo apt-get remove --purge squid3
3. install libecap from downloaded source (./configure && make && sudo make
install)
4. install adapter (just like above)
5. run "squid3 -v" on PC to get configuration used to install with /apt-get/
6. configure squid3 with that config and add "--enable-ecap"
7. sudo make && sudo make install

After quite long installation I am unable to do commands like "squid3 -v",
"squid3 -z", I get message:

bash: /usr/sbin/squid3: No such file or directory

when I try "sudo service squid restart then I get "squid3: unrecognized
service". However, I am able to run "squid -v" (without 3 in name), but
there's no "squid" service.

Has anyone faced similar problem? What can I do to have squid service?

Thank you.