[squid-users] Strange behavior - reload service failed, but not start.... (solved)

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Fri Jan 27 14:01:11 UTC 2017

On Friday 27 January 2017 at 14:36:01, erdosain9 wrote:

> Hi, again.
> Now, i do this
>
> [root at squid ips]# ps aux | grep squid
> root      2228  0.0  0.0 130900   344 ?        Ss   ene24   0:00
> /usr/sbin/squid -sYC

... snip ...

> [root at squid ips]# systemctl stop squid
> [root at squid ips]# pkill squid
> [root at squid ips]# squid -z
>
> And now is working, also with the command systemctl.... but, anyway you
> recommend more the use of squid -k commands no??

Well, if you started it with systemctl / systemd, then it's a good idea to
stop it with systemctl / systemd.

However:

On Thursday 26 January 2017 at 03:57:48, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> On 26/01/2017 5:38 a.m., erdosain9 wrote:
>
> > some other approach??
>
> Not using systemd to control Squid-3. The two are not compatible. As you
> just found out the hard way.
>
> Squid is not a daemon, it is a Daemon + Manager in one binary/process.
> systemd is based around the naive assumption that everything is a simple
> daemon and gets horribly confuzled when reality bites. It is not alone,
> upstart has the same issues. Basically only start/stop work, and even
> those only most of the time if done very carefully.
>
> Your choices with systemd are (1) use the 'squid -k' commands, or (2)
> upgrade to Squid-4 and install the tools/systemd/squid.service file we
> provide for that version.

Therefore avoid using systemd with Squid, and you should be able to manage it
normally.

Antony.

--
A user interface is like a joke.
If you have to explain it, it didn't work.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.