[squid-users] Is it possible to modify cached object?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Jan 22 20:33:23 UTC 2017

On 23/01/2017 4:34 a.m., boruc wrote:
> So basically eCAP will allow me to modify any pages that is in response? What
> about pages that are gzipped? Would I have to decode, modify it as I want
> and encode?

Yes you would. Squid just passes the data it gets.

> If you could write a "lifecycle" of object that is going to be
> cached, what would it look like?
>
> HTTP Request -> HTTP Response -> ContentAdaptation -> Cache ->
> Refresh/Delete/OtherStuff

Not even close.

A request goes through REQMOD-precache adaptation and other stages
before the cache lookup happens.

 request -> stuff -> REQMOD adaptation -> stuff -> cache [ -> upstream
server ]

There is a 1:1 relationship between request and response on the client
connection. But multiple transactions may be occuring with server(s) to
produce that response.
RESPMOD-precache adaptation happens for each server response, before the
adapted content is delivered to the cache or the client.

 server response -> RESPMOD adaptation -> cache [ -> client response ]

In both chains the last entry is in [] since it may not exist.