[squid-users] Linker error while compiling version 3.5.12 after applying a patch

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Jan 12 12:39:09 UTC 2017

On 13/01/2017 12:54 a.m., Oğuz İsmail Uysal wrote:
> I have downloaded source tarball from
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/squid-3.5.12.tar.gz .
> I have downloaded the patch I have mentioned from
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/changesets/SQUID-2016_5.patch
> then applied to source.

Er, why? Ubuntu are already providing a 3.5.12-1ubuntu7.2 package in
their 16.04 main repository which contains this and many other CVE fixes
relevant to that version of Squid.

> I have installed building tools by typing
>> apt build-dep squid
> to terminal.
> While compiling source on Ubuntu 16.04 x64 I got these errors;
<snip>
> /root/squid-3.5.12/tools/cachemgr.cc:439: undefined reference to
> `MemBuf::append(char const*, long)'
<snip>

> What am I doing wrong ?
> Without that patch it will not show any error.

That security patch contains changes to the automake build files. IIRC
you need to autoreconf the sources after applying that kind of change.

BUT...

If you are just trying to build your own Squid please either use the
source package available from your vendor (Ubuntu) or the latest minor
release we have published for the appropriate series (3.5.23 currently).

The ubuntu source package can be obtained with "apt-get source squid",
use the -b option before 'source' to build it on retrieval.