[squid-users] Is it possible to modify cached object?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jan 9 06:18:52 UTC 2017

On 9/01/2017 3:49 a.m., boruc wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> Actually I managed to do what I want by simply editing that file and
> changing content length if necessary. I don't know why sometimes I need to
> restart Squid or reopen browser to see changed version of page. Sometimes
> it works fine on regular browser window, sometimes I need to open it in
> private mode, but that's the thing that I want to figure out now.

That is because what is on disk is only about half of the object. There
may be a whole copy of it in memory, or just the metadata about it.

Squid needs to be stopped, the swap.state file erased, then Squid
started again to scan the disk files (all of them) to load the changed
objects information.

> Would it be possible to NOT cache specific files, like images by using
> refresh_pattern? Or in other words - I'd like to cache only HTML/CSS files.

Not with refresh_pattern, that is only for tuning revalidation
operations. Use 'cache deny ...' and/or 'store_miss deny ...' for
preventing things caching.

It is better though to fix the data on the server generating it = before
it goes anywhere neara a proxy or cache. Whatever you do on your own
proxy wil not fix the same problems occuring in ay of the other caches
handling it (guaranteed to be at least 1 other and probably 2-3).