[squid-users] My Squid stop working WITHOUT any reason.

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Feb 23 20:14:52 UTC 2017

On 02/23/2017 12:02 PM, Sebastien.Boulianne at cpu.ca wrote:

> Does it has changes in the configuration from Squid 3.5.20 vs 3.5.24 ?

I see one configuration change clearly identified in ChangeLog:

> - TLS: Make key= before cert= an error instead of quietly hiding the issue

There may be more -- I have not checked closely.

> My Squid stop working for no reason BUT i dont know why. To fix that, I
> have to restart the Squid process.

When "Squid stopped working",

* Was Squid process still running?
* What was the Squid process state (running, sleeping, blocked, etc.)?
* Was the Squid process CPU usage at or very close to 100%?
* Was the Squid process memory usage abnormal?
* Was anything potentially relevant logged at the end of cache.log?
* Was anything potentially relevant logged in system logs?
* Did telnet from localhost to Squid listening port work?
* Was Squid responding to local cache manager requests?
* Did curl/wget/squidclient from localhost to Squid listening port work?

I realize that you may not know the answer to many of these questions,
but you can consult this list when/if this happens again, so that you
can troubleshoot the problem yourself or supply relevant information to
others on the mailing list.

It is very rare for Squid to "stop working" without at least some
visible symptoms of the underlying problem.

HTH,