[squid-users] Proxyfy spice protocol behind nat

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sun Feb 19 22:15:33 UTC 2017

On Sunday 19 February 2017 at 19:05:57, Oscar Segarra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my environment I have deployed two KVM hypervisors. I'd like to deploy
> in my DMZ a squid proxy host in order to hide hypervisor IPs and Ports from
> the clients.

Why?  What's the problem with the clients knowing the true values?

> Each virtual machine has a unique port but VMs can run on any hypervisor.

It doesn't sound to me like the VMs are actually part of what you're trying to
do here?  You're just talking about client connections to hypervisors; the VMs
are not part of that.

> Is it possible to achieve this with squid?

What protocol do the clients use to communicate with the KVM Hypervisors?

If it's HTTP, HTTPS or FTP, then you can probably configure Squid in
accelerator mode and use it to do what you want.

However, why are you trying to do this?  What is the risk involved in the
clients knowing the true IPs and ports of the hypervisors, which would be
mitigated by having them connect via a proxy instead?

Have you considered using HAproxy or LVS, both of which are far more generic
network proxies than Squid is?

> Is there any example how to configure this?

Not that I have ever heard of, however if it is a protocol which Squid can
handle, it really doesn't matter what the specific backend system is; there are
plenty of examples on how to do HTTP, HTTPS and FTP.

Antony.

--
Numerous psychological studies over the years have demonstrated that the
majority of people genuinely believe they are not like the majority of people.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.