[squid-users] Warning in Cache.log

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Dec 13 15:28:28 UTC 2017

On 12/13/2017 05:13 AM, Raju M K wrote:
> I installed squid 3.5.25 on Ubuntu and in windows 10 with Diladele MSI.
> In both cache.log files, I am getting below warning.
> Few users got the same error but no solution for this.
>
> 2017/12/13 10:38:04 kid1| WARNING: no_suid: setuid(0): (22) Invalid argument
>
> Above warning getting while starting helpers only.
> I Installed the same squid ver 3..5.25 onĀ  CentOS 7 but no Warnings with
> the same config.
> But we need some solution for OS also like Ubuntu and widows.

If this warning is pointless or wrong, then it would be good to fix
Squid to get rid of it. If the warning is correct (i.e., setuid(0)
failure may affect Squid operation in some cases), then it would be good
to add some wiki documentation explaining what is going on.

I do not know which of the above two conditions is true, but if you have
the resources to make Squid better, then do not ignore the warning even
if (or just because) Squid appears to work despite the warning.

N.B. It is not clear whether your "Few users got the same error" refers
to Squid administrators running your Squid (makes sense) or end users
proxying their traffic through Squid (does not make sense because end
users do not see cache.log messages). If you were talking about some end
user error, then please clarify.

Alex.
P.S. IIRC, there was a similar problem with setuid(0) failures on
FreeBSD. It had a known excuse/explanation (which I do not recall).