[squid-users] KB vs KiB

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Dec 7 21:14:35 UTC 2017

On 12/07/2017 12:12 PM, Ing. Pedro Pablo Delgado Martell wrote:
> I have been reading about the difference between a KB and a KiB,
> Kilobyte and Kibibyte respectively. According to several websites, also
> Google,  1KB = 1000 bytes and 1KiB = 1024 bytes. However, you guys say
> on /etc/squid/squid.conf this:
>
> "Units accepted by Squid are:
>
>         bytes - byte
>
>         KB - Kilobyte (*1024 bytes*)
> "
>
> This email is not for criticize your work, I'm only looking for some
> clearance because right now I'm confused about how Squid is really
> measuring files.
 The statement in squid.conf.documented is accurate: When parsing
size-related options that support units, Squid interprets the KB suffix
as 1024 bytes. This classic/legacy interpretation predates and violates
some of the modern conventions/standards. I do not anticipate changes in
this area because it is not trivial to make such changes
backwards-compatible, and because we should solve much bigger problems
first.

Please note that Squid may use a different KB definition in other
contexts, especially in various reports and cache.log messages.