[squid-users] (no subject)

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Thu Dec 7 19:48:34 UTC 2017

On Thursday 07 December 2017 at 20:43:52, Ing. Pedro Pablo Delgado Martell
wrote:

> "In our kilobyte - one thousand twenty-four bytes."
>
> Your kilobyte???? Ok, let's move on, there is no point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilobyte

"In historical usage in some areas of information technology, particularly in
reference to digital memory capacity, kilobyte denotes 1024 (2^10) bytes. This
arises from the powers-of-two sizing common to memory circuit design. In this
context, the symbols K and KB are often used."

"The kilobyte has traditionally been used to refer to 1024 bytes (2^10 B), a
usage still common. The usage of the metric prefix kilo for binary multiples
arose as a convenience, because 1000 approximates 1024."

"The binary representation of 1024 bytes typically uses the symbol KB, with an
uppercase letter K. The B is often omitted in informal use. For example, a
processor with 65,536 bytes of cache memory might be said to have "64K" of
cache. In this convention, one thousand and twenty-four kilobytes (1024 KB) is
equal to one megabyte (1 MB), where 1 MB is 1024^2 bytes."

Hope that helps,

Antony.

--
Wanted: telepath.   You know where to apply.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.