[squid-users] Your cache is running out of filedescriptors

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 21:48:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm opening a new thread realted to my previous post here: http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-users/2017-August/016233.html
I'm doing so because the subject is more specific now.

I'm obviously having trouble with file descriptors since I'm gettign the following message in the log on a regular basis.

WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors

Sometimes, but not always, I also get the message "WARNING: Consider increasing the number of ssl_crtd processes in your config file".

I've upped twice now the value of "children", but I'm still getting the same warnigns and performance issues. Here are some values:

external_acl_type bllookup ttl=86400 children-max=100 ...
sslcrtd_children 128 startup=20 idle=4

I also increased nofiles in ulimit:

# ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 127521
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
open files                      (-n) 4096
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 127521

If I run "lsof" I get a huge listing.

I could keep increasing the ulimit nofiles and squid "children" values, but I'd like to know if I'm on the right path or not.

What do you suggest?

I appreciate any tip you can share.

Regards,

Vieri