[squid-users] HTTPS proxy working in non-transparent mode, failing in transparent mode

David Salisbury david.salisbury at momentumweb.com
Tue Aug 22 17:17:53 UTC 2017

I've got an install of Squid that I'm trying to get running as an HTTP
and HTTPS proxy.  I've got some Squid experience, but up to this point
only using it as an HTTP proxy (transparent, in that case).

I've gotten the HTTPS portion of the proxy working, if I run it in
non-transparent mode; the HTTP portion is working as well.  I've
installed the appropriate CA cert on the client machine I'm testing
with, and have pointed the browser of the client machine to the IP and
port of the Squid proxy.  Both HTTP and HTTPS work well, and I can
successfully use Squid's ACL functions to whitelist and blacklist
certain sites.

BUT, my ultimate goal is transparent mode for the HTTP and HTTPS
proxying, and as soon as put Squid in transparent mode and take off the
proxy information of the browser, I start to get certificate errors on
the HTTPS-based sites.  HTTP proxying still works fine, but the HTTPS
proxying breaks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for that may be
causing that?  I don't understand what could break just switching
between non-transparent and transparent modes.

-David