[squid-users] Content Adaptation with HTTPs

Christopher Ahrens christopher at leviacomm.net
Sun Aug 20 04:05:56 UTC 2017

The current solution doesn't work for me since it only supports a very
limited number of clients.  I am working with a charity that provides
internet services to those with impaired vision, the intention of my
project was to set up a semi-public proxy for recipient of the charity
(EG, we would install DD-WRT like routers within their homes that would
create a tunnel into our network so that they could browse the internet
using off-the-shelf systems.  We recently received a large number of
tablets form a corporate donor, the tablets themselves will work for our
recipients, but unfortunately the internet at large does not.

We've looked into commercial systems in the past, but we cannot afford
the cost of commercial systems, especially since we are unsure about the
exact licensing that would be needed for our endeavor.  We have also
been burnt in the past with commercial software where the project either
goes dead, begins to require insanely expensive appliances, or the
license price is sent sky-high.

Would it be possible to use a setup of Squid <-> Privoxy <-> Squid to
execute this?  I figure we'd build an internal instance that will handle
the client<->proxy part, Privoxy handles the content modification, then
a second Squid instance to handle the web server<->proxy part.

SO it looks like the solution would be to find a developer to write an
ECAP to cycle through regexes to replace/remove HTML/CSS content.  So
time to dig out my old C++ books and get to work...

-Christopher