[squid-users] Crash: every 19 hours: kernel: Out of memory: Kill process (squid)

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Aug 11 04:50:43 UTC 2017

On 11/08/17 06:36, Cherukuri, Naresh wrote:
> Eliezer,
>
> I cannot say by client or network. But, for sure I can say we have around 7000 computers using squid as a proxy.

FYI: that number means peak load may be as high as 70K RPS (~100
req/client), a quad-core machine might be able to handle that but the
2.13 GHz CPU speed makes me doubtful. I'd plan for up to 4 machines of
this type to be built in the medium-long term.

NP: I don't see any access logs details in your post. Just CPU specs and
disk FS mappings.

No, suggestion was for the default memory-only cache. Which means no
cache_mem or cache_dir entries in your squid.conf (letting Squid use its
defaults). It should still be caching, just much less.

FYI: My brief understanding of the OOM is that when the sum total of all
processes on the machine start consuming too mush RAM it kills off the
largest user. So it may be that Squid is using some large (but
reasonable) amount of RAM and something else entirely pushes it over the
edge - OOM just killing Squid because it has the most memory at that time.

So, if you have any record of the machines memory usage by process over
time it would be good to know for certain whether it is Squid alone, or
squid + something else that is the problem. Something along the lines of
a log processor that kicks in once a day and uses lots of RAM briefly
may exist.

> Why every 19 hours my memory is going to full?
>
> How much Ram do I need for following squid version?
>
> Squid Cache: Version 3.5.20
>
>               total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> Mem:         11845       2713       9132         14         71       1641 -/+ buffers/cache:       1000      10845
> Swap:        25551        421      25130

The biggest problem I see here is that there are no units. These could
be KB or GB for all we know.

Please clarify that missing info.

FWIW: Squid with some minimal tuning runs fine on embeded devices with
32MB of RAM and has not had a memory leak in a long time. So it is
usually a matter of some feature misconfigured. That said there is an
issue with OpenSSL objects that can look like a memory leak in 3.x if
one is not careful.

To see if anything is misconfigured please post your squid.conf (without
the #commented out lines) so we can review it for problems.

Cheers