[squid-users] How squid sends sni to icap server?

lucas.alvaro at laposte.net lucas.alvaro at laposte.net
Fri Aug 4 07:11:30 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,
I have a transparent proxy squid 3.5.26 with C-ICAP and here are the important lines:
"
icap_enable on
icap_send_client_ip on
icap_send_client_username on
icap_client_username_header X-Authenticated-User
icap_preview_enable on
icap_preview_size 1024
icap_service service_avi_req reqmod_precache icap://localhost:1344/echo bypass=off
adaptation_access service_avi_req allow all
icap_service service_avi_resp respmod_precache icap://localhost:1344/echo bypass=off
adaptation_access service_avi_resp allow all

#url_rewrite_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidguard/squidGuard.conf

http_port 3128
http_port 3129 intercept
https_port 3130 intercept ssl-bump \
cert=/etc/squid/ssl_cert/myCA.pem \
generate-host-certificates=on dynamic_cert_mem_cache_size=4MB
sslcrtd_program /usr/local/squid/libexec/ssl_crtd -s /var/lib/ssl_db -M 4MB

#acl step1 at_step SslBump1
#acl step2 at_step SslBump2
#acl step3 at_step SslBump3

ssl_bump peek all
ssl_bump bump all
logformat squid %ssl::>sni
adaptation_meta X-SNI "%ssl::>sni" all #or connect
#request_header_add X-SNI "%ssl::>sni" all
"

So i want to create an icap service like squidclamav but it must check SNI not URLs.

I peek all the steps to get sni and in the squid access log, sni is printed .
I read that adaptation_meta can send anything from squid to icap but clearly i use it incorretly: i can't see sni on icap access log or in icap headers.
Does adaptation_meta create a icap headers ? Or should i use add_request_headers?

I know that squid can create a 2nd fake connect with sni but here again icap just print the same connect 2 times

Thanks,