[squid-users] Large text ACL lists

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Sep 30 06:59:07 UTC 2016

On 30/09/2016 6:58 p.m., Darren wrote:
> Thank you Amos
>
> The resources I save not running multiple Squidguards will  make more
> ram available as you say and having a simpler setup is never a bad
> thing either.
>
> Just to clarify, so when squid fires up, it caches the ACL file into
> ram  in it's entirety and then does some optimizations? If that is
> the case I would need to budget the ram to allow for this.

Not quite. Squid still reads the files line by line into a memory
structure for whatever type of ACL is being loaded. That is part of why
its so much slowe to load than the helpers (which generally do as you
describe).

The optimizations are type dependent and fairly simplistic. Ignoring
duplicate entries, catenating regex into bigger " A|B " patterns (faster
to check against), etc.