[squid-users] Caching application/octet-stream

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Sep 28 14:24:21 UTC 2016

On 28/09/2016 11:17 p.m., Michael Varun wrote:
> Team -
>
> Would like to know is there any specific config that we need to enable to
> cache MIME attachement of application/octet-stream type
>
> We are trying to caching docker image blobs which is of
> application/octet-stream  and everytime we hit the docker registry via)GET
> call squid throws up TCP_MISS/200  I had never got a CACHE HIT or MEM HIT
> for these contents. Can someone show pointers to how to succeed in cache
> hit

The object mime type does not matter for caching. What does matter are
the URL and identifier headers, plus headers about the objects age,
Vary, Expires and Cache-Control.

You can configure "debug_options 11,2" to get a cache.log trace of the
messages going through the proxy. Taking a closer look at those message
headers to find out why caching is not happening.

You could also use the tool at redbot.org. It takes a public URL and
displays the cacheability situation for it.