[squid-users] add header for https requests that are served to an upstream http server

Tory M Blue tmblue at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:13:59 UTC 2016

So we are moving from an F5 LB to an AWS ELB. In the F5 we have a irule
that inserts a header that our origin servers looks for so they can return
https urls.

The ELB and Squid combination ends up rewritting the x_forward_proto header

from

HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTO: https

HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTO: http

So my origin, or back end server does not know that the request came
into Squid as https and that breaks the application.

I need to figure out how to keep the x_forwarded_proto header in tact,
or I need to know how to add a custom header if the original r

x_forwarded_proto header is https

There appears to be a "request_header_add" but I'm unclear how to use it.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

I'm running 3.5.x

Thanks
Tory