[squid-users] Transparent Proxy

John Sayce jsayce at asdlighting.com
Wed Sep 7 08:51:49 UTC 2016

I believe so.  The specific command I used was:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i ens33 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128

(For some reason my adapter is ens33, I have no idea why it's not eth0.  Squid is set to run on 3128.)

And after running this command port 80 now shows as being open with nmap.

And the output from iptables -t nat -L

Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
REDIRECT   tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:http redir ports 3128

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)

It's fair to say I have almost no experience with iptables.  Is it iptables that should be doing the address translation? when the packet is sent back to the client?