[squid-users] Slowness in Squid [squid-users Digest, Vol 26, Issue 82]

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sun Oct 23 12:55:39 UTC 2016

On Sunday 23 October 2016 at 14:42:02, Krishna Kulkarni wrote:

> Hi Antony,
> Thanks for the reply. I have made changes in squid.conf as per your
> suggestion and have allocated 20 GB of Hard disk space.

Have you made any measurements at all (either before making the disk cache
bigger, or since) of what percentage of content Squid is actually caching for
you?

In other words, how much bandwidth is Squid saving you, compared to simply not
using Squid at all and getting the content directly?

Also, what made you believe that your disk cache was too small and needed to
be 20Gbytes instead?

> Squid server at my location handles http/https requests for more than 500
> hosts.

What's more important is the number of requests per second going through Squid
- it doesn't matter how many hosts are generating them.

> But at peak hours squid usually performs very slow and browser takes
> 1-2 minutes just to serve google home page and more time than that for
> heavy web page.

Have you compared this side-by-side with a browser configured to use Squid and
a browser configured to go direct?

> I have verified network link utilization & found it consumes not more than
> 15 mb whereas link bandwidth is of 45mb

So, why are you using Squid?

> but still squid serves web pages very slow to client hosts.

What hardware are you running Squid on?

Which operating system / version are you running it under?

What load is Squid generating on the machine?

> Any suggestions in squid configuration to overcome this issue would be
> highly appreciated.

Have you made any measurements of the type of traffic your users are generating
(for eaxmple, HTTP vs. HTTPS) and how much of this is cacheable at all?

Squid won't help you if the content they're fetching can't be cached (either
encrypted, or dynamically-generated etc.).

Regards,

Antony.