[squid-users] Caching Google Chrome googlechromestandaloneenterprise64.msi

Yuri Voinov yvoinov at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 13:13:27 UTC 2016

I will explain why I am extremely outraged by this position. Every
single major players - both from the Web companies and from suppliers
caching solutions (BlueCoat, ThunderCache etc.) - to one degree or
another violate RFC. And developers of position - is to be paladins in
white robes, who strictly follow these _recommendations_ (not standard,
please note!) And to be holier than the Pope, even at the expense of its
users!

And, what is the strangest thing, while being the most support among the
users.

At the same time, for a moment, everybody forgets one simple thing.
Traffic - is money. A lot of money. Almost nowhere is there any truly
unlimited Internet, and we - the users - are paying money for it. And
because of the position of developers, we lose money. Anybody are told -
"Relax, you can always make a fork Or you can always make some crutches
as you like. This OpenSource, baby!". We can - and do. But this is - not
the solution. This is problem disregard.

Yes, we can make a fork. Yes, we can buy a commercial solution. But then
the question arises - why, in fact, if at all there is Squid? For
pathos? Or, as a source of commercial forks?

The trend is that the one who can with impunity violate RFC - he got a
lot of money. Remaining calm myself that this is the standard, it is
required to follow all. Go on! Most people believe that Squid is worth
nothing as a caching proxy! And - they right. Vanilla Squid makes not
above 10% byte hit. With increasing latency. Yes, I know that he is not
currently marketed as a caching proxy. Just in case, I'll take another
proxy, without the useless features that are not possible without the
need to break the RFC recommendations. Just - not needed.