[squid-users] Caching Google Chrome googlechromestandaloneenterprise64.msi

Yuri Voinov yvoinov at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 12:52:32 UTC 2016

22.10.2016 18:43, garryd at comnet.uz пишет:
> On 2016-10-22 16:05, Yuri Voinov wrote:
>> Good explanations do not always help to get a good solution. A person
>> needs no explanation and solution.
>>
>> So far I've seen a lot of excellent reasons why Squid can not do
>> so-and-so in the normal configuration. However, this explanation does
>> not help in solving problems.
>>
>> Nothing personal, just observation.
>
> IMO:
>
> The only reason I believe explains why core developers of Squid tend
to move HTTP violating settings from average users is to prevent
possible abuse/misuse. Options like 'refresh_pattern ... ignore-vary'
can severe affect browsing experience if used by people without enough
knowledge of HTTP protocol(s). The abuse can easily compromise
reputation of Squid software.

> Fortunately, the license of Squid permits modification of the
software. There are many ways to get desired and not yet implemented
features of Squid:

> * Group of enthusiasts can easily make a fork project, name it
"Humboldt", for example and implement options like 'refresh_pattern ...
ignore-vary', 'host_forgery_verification off'. For example, some time
ago there was the project Lusca, which implemented address spoofing
(like TProxy) for BSD systems (among other features). The feature was
highly demanded and Squid project also implemented it later for BSD
systems. Now Lusca is not so popular.

> * Commercial organizations like ISP or any other enterprise can hire a
developer to implement the options.

> * Many system administrators with programming skills can successfully
modify the Squid sources to reach the goal. The squid-users list and
bugzilla remembers those success stories.

> Nevertheless, I believe that core developers should publish an
_official_ explanations regarding the tendency, as it often becomes a
"center of gravity" of many topics.
I do not think that someone is authorized to make official statements by
the developers. On behalf of any of its own community.

> Garri
But who would argue. You can always make a fork. Just got another indoor
bike. Received another 2049-Linux distribution. I do not think that this
is something to aspire to any open society.

And the trend is obvious. Large Internet companies pay a lot of money
for advertising, and they absolutely do not care about users and their
traffic. Arises only one rhetorical question. Key developers think about
the users or large companies with their income?

Actually, it's completely pointless debate. Developer position for a
long time, we all know. "You can modify the code and go to the devil."

I do not see the point in any further discussion, Harry. Your position
is quite clear.