[squid-users] Peeking on TLS traffic: unknown cipher returned

Jason Haar jason_haar at trimble.com
Thu Oct 20 04:12:08 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Alex Rousskov <
rousskov at measurement-factory.com> wrote:

> Please note that "peek and make a decision based on SNI" is not what
> your configuration tells Squid to do.

This is a complex situation for most people (myself included), can you tell
us how to "peek and make a decision based on SNI"?

I'm probably like the original poster in that I simply want to be able to
do transparent proxy of TCP/443 so as to better log HTTPS transactions. I
wouldn't even bother with the "terminate" bit - if I wanted to blacklist
some HTTPS sites, I'd rather rely on the normal non-bumping ACLs, the
SNI-learnt domain names -  and "deny" - I don't care if a cleartext blob is
sent through to a client who thinks it's TLS - it will break and that's all
that matters. Anything better *requires* full MiTM which I want to avoid as
I believe it has no future due to pinning.

Off to upgrade to 3.5.22 :-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar