[squid-users] Squid on VMWare ESX

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Sat Oct 15 23:06:54 UTC 2016

Hey Geroge,

I have been running squid on ESX in small scale and it works fine.
You should consider your use case details like Requests per second and couple other things.
In general these days virtualization gives the software more then I have assumed in the past and in many big use cases Squid Is virtualized.
I do not have the exact link but I posted IBM research that shows the power of virtualized infrastructure which some might not like.
To illustrate, If I can utilize with a specific software 2 of the 4 CPU cycle with virtualization you are "wasting" some cycles but you can utilize in the overall much more cycles.
In any use case you first must run some basic tests.
Also another thing  to consider in the use case is if you need it for caching or ACLs.

Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru
Linux System Administrator