[squid-users] Problem with Squid3 Caches

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Oct 10 10:40:31 UTC 2016

FYI: I am an IT consultant by trade. If you want private help I am happy
to do so after receiving a PayPal donation via the buttons at
<http://treenet.co.nz/projects/squid/>.

Otherwise please keep the replies going to the list so others who know
the answers join in faster than I can reply, and everyone benefits.

On 9/10/2016 3:52 p.m., KR wrote:
> Hi Amos -
>
> So I believe I fixed the rock cache by specifying cache_dir /ssd1 5000 but now I’m getting an error regarding writing to a file:
>
> squid
> 2016/10/08 22:42:49| ALERT: setgid: (1) Operation not permitted
> WARNING: Cannot write log file: /var/log/squid/cache.log
> /var/log/squid/cache.log: Permission denied
>          messages will be sent to 'stderr'.
> 2016/10/08 22:42:49| ALERT: setgid: (1) Operation not permitted
>
> Permissions are:
>
> drwxr-xr-x 2 proxy             proxy     4096 Oct  5 07:35 squid
>
> So not sure why I’m getting this error.

That looks like Squid is not actually running as the user 'proxy', or
you are not starting it from an account that can change itself to be
that effective-user.

Squid-3 should be started by the root user, it will downgrade its
permissions before opening ports and handling traffic.