[squid-users] Caching http google deb files

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Oct 5 15:26:10 UTC 2016

On 10/05/2016 08:33 AM, Hardik Dangar wrote:

> One more thing can you tell me if we are already violating http via
> options like nocache, ignore-no-store ignore-private ignore-reload, why
> can't we do the same for Vary header ?

We can, but ignoring Vary requires more/different work than adding
another refresh_pattern option. Vary is not a refresh mechanism so
different code areas need to be modified to ignore (but still forward!)
Vary.

Also, a good implementation would not just ignore Vary (because it is
likely to break things on the client side) but support _replacing_ it
with a less restrictive one (as far as Squid internal interpretation is
concerned) while still forwarding the original value. One could argue
that only such reinterpreting implementation should be officially accepted.

If you want to work on that, search Squid sources for httpMakeVaryMark
to find starting points. The reply_header_replace code may also be
useful as far as reinterpret_vary configuration is concerned. Posting a
detailed proposal and securing "acceptance in principle" on squid-dev
before starting this potentially controversial work is a good idea if
you care about official acceptance.