[squid-users] Problem with Squid3 Caches

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Tue Oct 4 17:59:36 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 04 October 2016 at 19:43:21, KR wrote:

> > On Oct 4, 2016, at 11:45 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 04 October 2016 at 17:00:24, KR wrote:
> >> Hello Anthony, Yuri,
> >>
> >> It seems every line is commented out in the config?
> >
> > Impossible - otherwise it couldn't generate the error message "FATAL:
> > Bungled /etc/squid/squid.conf line 3467: cache_dir rock /ssd3 ..."
> >
> > That is telling you that line 3467 of squid.conf starts with the
> > directive "cache_dir”.
>
> I see, is there an easy way to omit all lines that begin with the # sign?

Well, grep?

eg: grep -v "^[^#]" will show all lines which start with something other than
a # - in other words, it will omit blank lines and comments.

> The line in question is
>
> # Uncomment and adjust the following to add a disk cache directory.
> #cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 100 16 256

Please confirm which file you are showing us the information from.

> > Standard Ubuntu?  Which version?
>
> Standard and current.

So, 16.04?

> >> Attached are two screenshots that are suspect.
> >
> > Er, what are those screenshots of?  It's certainly not the output of
> > Squid, or its config file.

An answer to this would be helpful.

> >> Ubuntu is running inside of a vm,
> >
> > Er, so /ssd3 is not an actual SSD, then?  What is it?
>
> I suspect it is an SSD drive

"Suspect"?

How have you set up this VM?  Is there an actual device mounted on /ssd3, or
is it just some directory name in your VM?

> > I'm suspicious that you may be used webmin, and we've had someone here on
> > the list recently who installed Squid on Ubuntu along with webmin, and
> > we then found out that the package maintainer had put the documentation
> > file for squid.conf in place of the actual squid.conf.
>
> I tried it both its webadmin

Please specify what yu mean by this - what is the "it" which "its" refers to
above?

> and terminal to install.  Same result.  Squid seems to want a cache folder
> one very partition that exists.

I recommend you stop using any graphical tool to try to manage Squid, remove
the package, and then simply:

1. Install the Squid (maybe called Squid3?  I can't quite recall for Ubuntu)
package using apt-get or aptitude.

2. Edit the config file /etc/squid/squid.conf to your needs.

Hope that helps,

Antony.

--
"The future is already here.   It's just not evenly distributed yet."

 - William Gibson

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.