[squid-users] Problem with Squid3 Caches

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Tue Oct 4 15:45:20 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 04 October 2016 at 17:00:24, KR wrote:

> Hello Anthony, Yuri,
>
> It seems every line is commented out in the config?

Impossible - otherwise it couldn't generate the error message "FATAL: Bungled
/etc/squid/squid.conf line 3467: cache_dir rock /ssd3 ..."

Thta is telling you that line 3467 of squid.conf starts with the directive
"cache_dir".

> This is a fresh install.

Standard Ubuntu?  Which version?

> ls -al /ssd3 outputs:
>
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Aug 13 18:20 .
> drwxr-xr-x 30 root root 4096 Oct  3 13:49 ..

Hm, okay, so that really does exist on your machine, then...

> Attached are two screenshots that are suspect.

Er, what are those screenshots of?  It's certainly not the output of Squid, or
its config file.

> Do I need all of these cache folders on every partition?

You can put your cache directories wherever you like.

> Ubuntu is running inside of a vm,

Er, so /ssd3 is not an actual SSD, then?  What is it?

> default installation method using the setup wizard.

I'm suspicious that you may be used webmin, and we've had someone here on the
list recently who installed Squid on Ubuntu along with webmin, and we then
found out that the package maintainer had put the documentation file for
squid.conf in place of the actual squid.conf.

It can still work (not everything is commented out) but it's *far* bigger than
it needs to be, and is somewhat confusing to work with.

Regards,

Antony.

--
It may not seem obvious, but (6 x 5 + 5) x 5 - 55 equals 5!

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.