[squid-users] Caching http google deb files

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Oct 4 13:21:15 UTC 2016

On 5/10/2016 2:05 a.m., Hardik Dangar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to cache following deb files as its most requested file in
> network. ( google chrome almost every few days many clients update it ).
>
> http://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
> http://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/linux/direct/mod-pagespeed-beta_current_i386.deb
>
> Response headers for both contains Last modified date which is 10 to 15
> days old but squid does not seem to cache it somehow. here is sample
> response header for one of the file,
>
> HTTP Response Header

> Etag: "fa383"
> Last-Modified: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 19:24:00 GMT
> Server: downloads
> Vary: *

The Vary header says that this response is just one of many that can
happen for this URL.

The "*" in that header says that the way to determine which the clietn
gets is based on something no proxy can ever do. Thus no cache can ever
re-use any content it wanted to store. Making any attempts to store it a
pointless waste of CPU time, disk and memory space that could better be
used by some other more useful object. Squid will not ever cache these

(Thank you for the well written request for help anyhow.)