[squid-users] Large text ACL lists

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Oct 2 00:38:18 UTC 2016

On 09/30/2016 07:02 PM, Darren wrote:

> If I have to reload the ACL lists do I restart squid or is there a way
> to update without impacting the users to much?

You can reconfigure Squid instead of restarting it. Reconfiguration is
usually better than a complete restart as far as user impact is
concerned, but reconfiguration is currently still pretty disruptive for
users because Squid closes its listening ports while reconfiguring and
does a lot of useless work which slows reconfiguration down. Also, there
have been many cases where reconfiguration led to memory leaks and other
problems.

Seamless hot reconfiguration has been on many admin wish lists for a
long time, and ACL refreshing is a big part of that demand. We are
moving in that direction but the progress has been slow.