[squid-users] Squid3.4 on Debian Jessie x64 - config problem

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Nov 23 12:38:35 UTC 2016

On 23/11/2016 2:06 a.m., Marcin Jakóbik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a testing lab ( VBox ) with 2 VMs : 1st one with NICs in bridged
> mode, and in host-only mode, 2nd VM is also in bridged mode.
>
> On 1st machine i have successfully set up Squid, but my config file
> sometimes works, sometimes no, f.eg. it sometimes blocks youtube, but a few
> secs later, just shows a few website elements. Moreover, if i choose to use
> proxy on windows machine, when it blocks sites - i can see that in logs,
> but in webbrowser i can see only white site. Nothing more. Same goes if I
> use default config file.

The default config from Debian disables access through the proxy. You
have to enable the localnet ACL for anything to work.

Start by deciding what you want the proxy to do. Then tell us that.

> *STATUS :*
> "sudo /etc/init.d/squid3 status
> ● squid3.service - LSB: Squid HTTP Proxy version 3.x
>    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/squid3)
>    Active: active (running)(...)"

systemd lies. It cannot tell whether Squid-3 is runnign or not. If Squid
was ever started systemd will say "active (running)" even if Squid aborted.

Which brings us to the config ...

> *CONFIG : *

The pastebin config is missing http_port for receiving traffic. So any
proxy asked to run it will abort on startup. No traffic going through there.