[squid-users] Trusted CA Certificate with ssl_bump

Patrick Chemla patrick.chemla at performance-managers.com
Wed Nov 16 17:33:18 UTC 2016

Thanks for your answers, I am not doing anything illegal, I am trying to
build a performant platform.

I have a big server running about 10 different websites.

I have on this server virtual machines, each specialized for one-some
websites, and squid help me to send the traffic to the destination
website on the internal VM according to the URL.

Some VMs are paired, so squid will loadbalance the traffic on group of
VMs according to the URL/acls.

All this works in HTTP, thanks to Amos advices few weeks ago.

Now, I need to set SSL traffic, and because the domains are different I
need to use different IPs:443 to be able to use different certificates.

I tried many times in the past to make squid working in SSL and never
succeed because of so many options, and this question: Does the traffic
between squid and the backend should be SSL? If yes, it's OK for me.
nothing illegal.

The second question: How to set up the SSL link on squid getting the SSL
request and sending to the backend. Actually the backend can handle SSL
traffic, it's OK for me if I find the way to make squid handle the
traffic, according to the acls. squid must decrypt the request, compute
the acls, then re-crypt to send to the backend.

The reason I asked not to reencrypt is because of performances. All this
is on the same server, from the host to the VMs and decrypt, the
reencrypt, then decrypt will be ressources consumming. But I can do it
like that.

Now, do you have any Howto, clear, that will help? I found many on
Google and not any gave me the solution working.

The other question is about Trusted Certificates. We have on the
websites trusted certificates. Should we use the same on the squid?

Thanks for appeciate help

Patrick