[squid-users] providing content on a intermittent connection

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Nov 10 12:04:37 UTC 2016

On 10/11/2016 11:17 p.m., a.bachechi wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> We are providing a news service on a intermittent connection (this
> service auto-refresh itself each minute).
> We've testested different squid configuration without success.
> So, cause a lack of ideas, we decided to ask the community:
> there's any way to get squid provide normally the content in case the
> connection is up, and the cached one, without requesting it to the
> server, in case the conection went down?

Add this to your squid.conf:
 offline_mode on

Despite the name its not intended for use when offline. What it does is
make the cache extra 'greedy' and more likely to serve stale content
when the upstream connectivity is intermittent.

You can also look at the directive max_stale_hit and the max-stale=N
option on refresh_pattern.