[squid-users] Question on no-cache

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Nov 10 01:48:28 UTC 2016

On 10/11/2016 10:00 a.m., Adiseshu Channasamudhram wrote:
> Hello There,
>
> I recently upgrade squid from 2.7 to 3.3.8 and started seeing a problem where in the squid was caching
> even when no-cache was set.
>
> I upgraded to 3.5.20 and now what I see is that the content is cached for 60 sec even when no-cache directive
> is set.
>
> I know that lot of changes have been implemented in 3.5.20 - Can someone please help me in configuring this
> new squid 3.5.20 such that it does not cache at all when no-cache directive is set?

If you do not want a response to be stored use "Cache-Control:
no-store". Do not use "no-cache", it does not mean what you think it does.

This should help explain:
<https://squidproxy.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/squid-3-2-pragma-cache-control-no-cache-versus-storage/>

And this is probably where that 60 seconds is coming from:
<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/minimum_expiry_time/>
If you just want the backend to be contacted and it supports
revalidation I suggest just reducing that minimum to 0 or 1 seconds.