[squid-users] Excessive TCP memory usage

Deniz Eren denizlist at denizeren.net
Tue May 24 17:50:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

After upgrading to squid 3.5.16 I realized that squid started using
much of kernel's TCP memory.

When squid was running for a long time TCP memory usage is like below:
test at test:~$ cat /proc/net/sockstat
sockets: used *
TCP: inuse * orphan * tw * alloc * mem 200000
UDP: inuse * mem *
UDPLITE: inuse *
RAW: inuse *
FRAG: inuse * memory *

When I restart squid the memory usage drops dramatically:
test at test:~$ cat /proc/net/sockstat
sockets: used *
TCP: inuse * orphan * tw * alloc * mem 10
UDP: inuse * mem *
UDPLITE: inuse *
RAW: inuse *
FRAG: inuse * memory *

I'm using Squid 3.5.16.

When I look with "netstat" and "ss" I see lots of CLOSE_WAIT
connections from squid to ICAP or from squid to upstream server.

Do you have any idea about this problem?

Regards,