[squid-users] explicit forward proxy to server requring client authentication

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed May 18 05:48:26 UTC 2016

On 18/05/2016 10:05 a.m., Yuri Voinov wrote:

> ..... and a bit below in squid.conf.documented we can see.....
>
> # SSL OPTIONS
> #
>
> #  TAG: sslproxy_client_certificate
> #    Client SSL Certificate to use when proxying https:// URLs
> #Default:
> # none
>
> #  TAG: sslproxy_client_key
> #    Client SSL Key to use when proxying https:// URLs
> #Default:
> # none
>
> Ta-daaaaaaaa!

You are the one getting it wrong here Yuri :-(

* clientca= is for listening ports. He wants that conectio to be cleartext.

* sslproxy_* directives are for generic DIRECT connections. He wants a
specific proxy<->server connection to be TLS authenticated.

For the S<->B connection to use client certificates. cert= and key= on
the cache_peer directive defining that link are correct.

But there are twe other details that need to happen for it to work:
* the server actually challenge for the proxies 'client' cert, and
* the server trust the CA which signed that cert.

The world of "not working" is a very big place. We need more details of
*how* its not working in order to have any guideposts towards what the
problem actually is. As Yuri used to say a lot, my psychic friend is on
holiday.

Amos